Ten Rules for Giving Criticism
Category: Christian Life
Speaker: Bill Knepper
Main Point: Always speak the truth in love.
I. Do not judge. Matt 7:1-5
- Judging is pronouncing guilt or innocence according to your own standard.
- Jesus commands us not to judge one another.
a) The motive—
b) The words—
c) The attitude—
d) The source—
e) The understanding—
II. Ten basic rules for using criticism for good.
- Pray for the Lord’s control.
- Go directly to the person involved. Matt 18:15
- Go privately.
- Lead with questions.
- Always double-check your motive.
- Be honest.
- Speak in love.
- Be objective and specific.
- Earn the right to be heard.
- Suggest alternatives.
III. Anticipate the response. Matt 7:6
A. Use criticism sparingly and not at all on those who would pay no attention.
B. Recognize that certain tensions will always exist.
C. Criticize only for the important things.