10 Rules for Receiving Criticism
Category: Christian Life
Speaker: Bill Knepper
A. Accept criticism with tough skin and a teachable heart.
- Critics usually choose a bad time.
- Critics often use a poor approach.
- Critics always provide a chance to learn.
B. Ten rules for receiving criticism help us make the best of it.
- Pray beforehand.
- Avoid becoming defensive.
- Allow your critic to finish.
- Ask for evidence.
- Use the criticism for learning about yourself.
- Confront the primary source.
- Try to determine why.
- Try to understand the real problem.
- Determine the best way to respond.
- Talk it over with a trusted friend.
C. Forgive the things said in error.
- Forgiving the excess of others is a sign of maturity.
- Guarding against excess in you is a sign of maturity.