- Matthew 2:1-23 Protection in the Midst of Pain Bill Knepper
- Passage: Matthew 2
- Date: May 27, 2012
- Series: Matthew
Main Point: God’s ways may be hard to understand but not His love.
I. Jesus is the rightful King. (1-8)
A. The magi knew He was King.
B. Herod knew He was King.
II. Wise men worship the King. (9-15)
A. The Lord will lead.
B. The Lord will provide.
III. Evil cannot stop the King. (16-23)
A. Sometimes grief is overwhelming.
B. But God remains in control.
Discussion Questions for Matthew 2:1-23
1. Herod and Jerusalem were troubled by the message from the magi. Why was this? What was Herod’s genealogy and why were the people afraid of him? Why did Herod tell the magi to let him know where the baby was?
2. When the magi arrived to worship the Baby, where did they find Him? How far is Bethlehem from the temple? How old was Jesus when He was taken to the temple? Describe the symbolism of each gift.
3. The plan of the Father was to send the small family into Egypt for protection from Herod. How did He provide for their journey and stay? How does God provide for you in ways you have not expected?
4. Herod’s true intentions are seen in what he did after the magi left. He both believed the prophecy and yet believed he could defeat the plan of God. Discuss how human pride blinds the mind and leads to decisions and beliefs that are contradictory. What does God say about pride?
5. Although the Baby Jesus was rescued from Herod’s madness, many children were not. Discuss the challenge we face in living in a fallen world, knowing that we have a loving God and not being able to see everything He is doing. Take some time to discuss this and then pray and thank Him for being in charge even in those times when you are the most confused.