- 1 Sam. 1:3 Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts Bill Knepper
- Passage: 1 Samuel 1:3
- Date: Jun 3, 2012
- Series: Names of God
Main Point: Be still and know that I am God.
I. Jehovah-Sabaoth means “The Lord of Hosts”.
A. Sabaoth is from a word pertaining to armies.
B. God is the King of creation.
II. Jehovah-Sabaoth is Lord of All.
A. He reigns over the stars.
"It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it. I stretched out the heavens with My hands And I ordained all their host.” Isaiah 45:12
B. He reigns over the angels.
… "Therefore, hear the word of the LORD. I saw the LORD sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by Him on His right and on His left. 1 Kings 22:19
C. He reigns over the world.
The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it. Psalm 24:1
III. We serve the Lord of Hosts, not fear. Psalm 46:1-3
A. We do not need to fear superstition.
B. We do not need to fear the dark.
C. We do not need to fear any man.
Discussion Questions for Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts
1. Read 1 Sam 17:45 in context. The first mention of this name for God is 1 Sam 1:3. Discuss why Samuel might be attracted to this name. Recall that he is writing this account after the encounter with Goliath. What kind of man was David especially in relation to this name?
2. We discussed God’s rule over the stars. As we applied this to our lives today we can see that superstition rules many lives. Give examples you have seen. Discuss the role superstition has played in your life.
3. We also explored God’s rule over the angelic world. Discuss the fear many have of God’s enemies. Is this justified? How would you respond to someone who was fearful of fallen angels?
4. Finally, we discussed a general fear of man. Describe what this looks like in many lives. How does this name of God provide the solution to that fear?